You don’t have to be planning to add your own home to the Madison, Wisconsin listings to be curious about how it would do if it were up for sale. If you are considering a change of residences, it’s twice as likely that you have been checking out the latest listings in Madison, Wisconsin to see what comparable properties are asking, which are already under contract, and which have been listed for the longest times…
Most important in the interest any listing elicits is the photography—combined with the Big Three: Asking Price; Number of Bedrooms; and Number of Bathrooms. But there is also the list of possible amenities—and how each stacks up with buyers across the nation. Some of them seem to attract the most eager buyers, while others seem to draw the most yawns. I’ve done an informal (and definitely unscientific) audit of what the leading commentators have come up with as “least popular” home amenities. Here’s a sampling of the 10 top least exciting contenders:
- Elevator. Almost every source mentioned this. People don’t want elevators in their homes, except for a small percentage of seniors. This is fortunate, because very few Madison, Wisconsin listings ever include them.
- Two toilets in the master bath. Not terribly surprising, but not to be confused with two sinks in the master bath, which (at least here in Madison, Wisconsin) is a definite plus.
- Cork flooring. Cork has excellent thermal and acoustical qualities. It’s lightweight, warm to the touch, hypoallergenic…but, alas! None of that seems to matter. Unpopular, apparently.
- Wet bar. This could have some connection to the next:
- Wine cellar. The vintage wine storage problem is, apparently, not high on most folks’ gotta-have-it lists.
- Daycare center nearby. This is a surprise—you’d think it would be a strong positive for professionals with little ones. Perhaps this is a reaction to negative news stories about daycare centers in places other than Madison, Wisconsin…or perhaps, since other properties are within the same “nearby” radius, it’s just not enough of a differentiator to make it a listings winner.
- Two story family room. Although this can be a delightful architectural feature, to some buyers it might hint at would-be grandeur that could make a family room less cozy.
- Two-story foyer. Ditto.
- Laminate countertop. Not surprising: stone seems to rule the roost in countertop mentions (as it has for years). One commentator found that Gen Xers “hold laminate countertops in the same disregard” that their elders hold for next-door baseball or soccer fields.
- Pet washing station. Sorry Fido; looks like it’s off to the groomer for you.
There they are—but if your own Madison, Wisconsin home has one or more of these attributes, never fear…we’re experts at coming up with creative approaches for marketing them in new and exciting ways. Give me a call when it’s time to start creating your listing!
Jen Stauter Kornstedt
HomeTeam4U-Stark Company Realtors
See Our Website
See Homes For Sale In Madison, WI
Become Our Fan On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Follow Us On Pinterest
Add Us To Your Circles On Google+